How it all started...
Known as "The Father of Texas," Stephen F. Austin established the first Anglo-American colony in the Tejas province of Mexico and saw it grow into an independent republic. It was Austin's father, Moses Austin, who took the first steps toward establishing an American colony in Mexican Tejas. In 1820, he traveled to San Antonio to petition for a land grant, and in 1821 received approval to settle 300 American families on 200,000 acres. But Moses Austin died before completing his plans and responsibility for establishing the colony fell to Stephen.
Austin selected a site on the lower Colorado and Brazos rivers, and settled his colonists there in January 1822. Almost at once he faced opposition from the newly independent Mexican government, which refused to recognize his father's land grant since it had been made under Spanish charter. Austin traveled to Mexico City to correct this situation, and using skillful diplomacy secured a new law confirming his right to colonize the land and designating him as the new colony's empresario or administrative authority.
The Phelps Plantation, also known as Orozimbo, was located just south of Pecan Bend South and east of CR25. Santa Anna was sequestered at Orozimbo awaiting negotiations with the Mexican Government after the Battle of San Jacinto. Apparently one of the few buildings left standing after Santa Anna marched across south Texas was in what is now West Columbia. That building became the First Capital of Texas. A replica of the building stands just off HWY35 near the Civic Center and Library in West Columbia.
General San Houston was sworn in as First President of the Republic of Texas. Stephen F. Austin served as Secretary of State until his death on December 27, 1836.
Our sleepy little community sits right in the middle of Texas history. When you look at the Brazoria County tax roles, you will find the name Thomas Alsbury and that is where our history begins.
Thomas Alsbury was one of the original 300 who settled in Texas with Stephen F. Austin. He was born in Virginia in 1773. He married Leach Jane Catlett and they had ten children. Alsbury fought in the War of 1812 and ultimately came to Austin from Kentucky between May and July 1824. On July 8,1824, Alsbury received a headright's share of land, title to two leagues and 1½ labores of land, about 10,000 acres, that later became part of Fort Bend, Brazoria and Waller counties. The census of 1826 listed him as a farmer and stock raiser, aged over fifty. He was accompanied to Texas by his wife, sons Charles, J. Harvey and Horace Alsbury and two daughters.
Over the years much of the land was parceled, sold or deeded off. The location of Pecan Bend South was part of the Black Family Ranch. The subdivision was marked off, roads set and utilities installed in the early 1980's. Careful consideration was given to maintaining the rural and natural surroundings of the land. Electric power was designed to supply the subdivision with minimal interruption to the scenic beauty.
To approach PBS from FM1462, one had to traverse a one-lane wooden bridge that was about 8-10 feet lower than the current bridge. It was not unusual to cross during a high river with water spouting up between the boards. All of the roads in the area were gravel which added to the rural atmosphere and considerable dust in homes and on automobiles. If the Brazos River raised high enough to back up into Cow Creek, the bridge would likely go under water and an alternate route was necessary to travel in and out of the subdivision.
In the beginning all of the mailboxes were on a long board row located on Cow Creek Road about a mile south of FM1462. Eventually, enough homes were built to move the mailboxes to CR25 at the entrance of the subdivision. It was a great day when homeowners could plant a mailbox in front of the house. The PBSHOA lobbied many months to have Brazoria County black-top the area roads…another great day for homeowners.
Pecan Bend South Homeowners Association was established in July of 1981 when the developers began the process of turning over maintenance of the subdivision to the homeowners. Over the years, PBSHOA has lobbied for road maintenance, ditch maintenance, street light at entrance, and a long lobby to have CR25 widened to accommodate the school bus and another vehicle simultaneously. Along with these improvements, PBSHOA desires to enforce all deed restrictions to maintain the integrity of our beautiful area.